Monday, January 15, 2007

Louise Brooks Society updates (part two)

Of late, I have been continueing by ongoing (read: never ending) research into the life and films of Louise Brooks. Some of the newspapers I looked at in pursuit of film-related material include the Concord Daily Monitor and New Hampshire Patriot (New Hampshire), South Bend Tribune (Indiana), Charlotte News & Evening Chronicle (North Carolina), Tallahassee Daily Democrat(Florida), and the Oregon Daily Journal (from Portland). Of these inter-library loan requests, the South Bend and Portland newspapers proved to be the most profitable for articles, reviews and advertisements.

Recently, I also made an afternoon visit to the library at San Francisco State University, where I gathered a few articles fromPhotoplay magazine. The library has microfilm of the film journal covering the later 1930's. And, while in Sacramento over the holidays, I made a visit to the California State Library. There, I looked at microfilm of a few California newspapers like the Los Angeles Examiner (I was missing a few film reviews from the 1920's), Santa Rosa Press Democrat (found a few reviews), Sausalito News, and Napa Valley Register. These last two small town newspapers turned up some advertisements.

I have put in inter-library loan requests for yet more periodicals. I still want to look at additional issues of the North China Daily News (from Shanghai), as well as newspapers from various towns and cities in Canada. I also have a number of requests cued up for papers from Kansas, New York and Pennslyvannia . . . . The search goes on.

No comments:

Powered By Blogger