Tuesday, May 24, 2005

von Dutch

I am always looking for newspaper and magazine articles about Louise Brooks. And occassionally, I search the internet for databases or archives that are new or new to me. And recently, I came across the website for the Koninklijke Bibliotheek - the National library of the Netherlands. This excellent site contains a keyword searchable archive of four Dutch newspapers dating from 1910 - 1945.

Once I figured out what button or link meant what (I don't read Dutch), I did a keyword search and managed to find a handful of brief articles and movie advertisements mentioning Brooks. As it turns out, a number of the actress' American silent films showed in Dutch cities such as Amsterdam and Rotterdam. Here is a typical newspaper ad, for It's the Old Army Game, dating from January of 1930. The Brooks-W.C. Fields film was part of a double bill with Beau Sabreur.

No comments:

Powered By Blogger