Friday, November 5, 2021

Through the Black Velvet Curtain: Louise Brooks and Rudolph Valentino

Back on August 23, 2019, I gave the keynote talk at the 92nd annual Valentino Memorial Service at the Hollywood Forever cemetery in Hollywood, California. The title of my talk was "Through the Black Velvet Curtain: Louise Brooks and Rudolph Valentino," with its subject being the two iconic silent film stars. My talk asks . . . might these two Jazz Age personalities have known each other? Might they have met? Over the years, various documents have come to light which go a long way toward answering those questions. While we will likely never know what Valentino thought of Brooks, we do know what Brooks thought of Valentino.

When I gave my talk in 2019, technical challenges (the acoustics of the crowded room once we figured out how to play back the audio that played perfectly in rehearsal) made it difficult for the attendees to  hear / appreciate the rare audio (from 1962) of Brooks speaking about Valentino. I felt bad.


In converting my original power point presentation to video, I have taken the opportunity to refine my spoken text just a bit, and add narration as well as a few more relevant images. I think fans of both actors will find this material and this newly refurbished presentation of interest. Please let me know what you think.

I have uploaded my presentation to the Louise Brooks Society YouTube channel (which I hope you will take time to explore, and subscribe to). "Through the Black Velvet Curtain: Louise Brooks and Rudolph Valentino" can be found in the "Louise Brooks - Documentaries and related material" playlist. This is only the second YouTube video I have made, so I apologize if its production values seem a little crude - but, I wanted to stay true to the nature of my original slide show presentation.

 

I have attended a couple of the Valentino Memorial Services in the past. It can be a moving experience, especially as Valentino is resting in the very building where this event takes place - and on the day on which the screen legend passed away. In fact, the Valentino Memorial Service is the oldest continuing annual event in Hollywood. Begun in 1927 on the first anniversary of the actors' death, it has continued uninterrupted into the 21st century. Over the years, thousands have gathered to remember one of the most beloved actors of his or any generation.


If you are interested in learning more about Valentino and the Valentino Memorial Service, I recommend Valentino Forever: The History of the Valentino Memorial Services by Tracy Terhune. It is a fascinating read. Another related book well worth checking out is The Valentino Mystique: The Death and Afterlife of the Silent Film Idol by Allan R. Ellenberger.


No comments:

Powered By Blogger