Friday, November 12, 2021

Edinburgh artist Sarah E. Wilson creates Louise Brooks art

The other day, I was alerted to a small exhibit going on at an independent fashion boutique called Hoochie Coochie in Edinburgh, Scotland which featured -- among other things -- imagery of various movie icons such as Anna May Wong, Gloria Swanson, Audrey Hepburn, Jane Russell, and notably Louise Brooks. The pieces on display (at a space called Hoochie Coochie) are the work of a contemporary Edinburgh-based artist named Sarah E. Wilson. For those fortunate enough to live in the area and take in the show - which runs through November 28th, Hoochie Coochie is located in the Tollcross area of Edinburg at 48 Home Street, EH3 9NA. 


I had trouble finding out more about this show, which came to my attention through a press release and my google news key word alert. And so, instead, I went looking for information about the artist and found her website, which features a number of images of her work, including portraits of Brooks and other early film stars. Check it out at http://www.sarah-ewilson.co.uk/   Or, check out her page on Saatchi Art.

A statement on the artist's website reads, "My work and research centres round the subject of vintage glamorous film starlettes from an era when everything was just that little bit more fabulous. Scottish artist, painter, eco-friendly printmaker. Influenced by Picasso, Klimt, Schiele and members of the art deco movement."

Looking around her website, I found a handful of works depicting Brooks - see the "Paintings and Artworks" page. Among those I spotted were these two, which I found appealing. (I also like the green-tinted Swanson image on her homepage.)


 

There are other works which depict Brooks, so be sure and look around this artists's studio website. "A Fair Lady", which depicts Audrey Hepburn is also rather appealing, as is the Harlow piece. 

The "Sold" page contains that ravishing Swanson piece, as well as three other Brooks pieces - and nifty work depicting Evelyn Brent, Audrey Tatou, and others. The "Toyobo Prints" page contains an Alla Nazimova. 

I reached out to the artists to ask her about her interest in early films stars, in particular Louise Brooks, and how she came to find inspiration in their likenesses. But alas, I have not heard back.

No comments:

Powered By Blogger