Friday, August 14, 2015

Notes from yesterday's research: Finland

Yesterday, I happily spent more than 5 hours looking through microfilm of old newspapers. My search through some rolls of Russian and Ukrainian newspapers was unproductive. I couldn't find any advertisements or indicators that the papers I looked through carried film advertisements.

My search through a Finnish newspaper, Helsingin Sanomat, was also unproductive, but not without promise. When I have time, I will try and continue my look through Helsingin Sanomat from the 1920s and early 1930s, because the three pages shown below suggest the search will eventually turn up something. Where there is smoke (other advertisements for silent films), there is fire (advertisements for Louise Brooks' films).

It's easy to notice the ads for Vilma Banky, Colleen Moore, Richard Dix, Harold Lloyd, Clara Bow, Billie Dove and others.





No comments:

Powered By Blogger