Sunday, November 7, 2004

Effects of the recent election


On a personal note, I must admit to being pretty dissapointed by the election. The United States economy - under president Bush - looks like it's in shambles. (It feels like a recession to me!) 
This economic downturn has had some small impact on the efforts of the Louise Brooks Society. In the four years I have been actively researching the actress, for example, I have seen cut backs and closures at libraries across the United States. This is especially true in the last two or three years. Some institutions have reduced hours and staff, some have put off upgrading equipment (such as microfilm readers), some have closed off parts of their collections. And worn microfilm, which should be replaced, is still in use. I don't think it untrue to say that libraries, archives and cultural institutions across the United States have suffered under Bush.

No comments:

Powered By Blogger