Friday, February 23, 2024

Victor McLaglen and Star Cast in "A Girl in Every Port" at the Fox Theater in Washington D.C.

Speaking of A Girl in Every Port, which I posted about a couple of days ago.... More than a few years ago, back in 2004, I acquired an unusual photo of a group of servicemen with the United States Coast Guard standing outside the lobby entrance to the Fox theater in Washington D.C. For the longest time, I never knew which Fox theater this was -- until the other day, when I was able to triangulate its location via a keyword newspaper search.

The theater was showing A Girl In Every Port (1928), which starred Victor McLaglen, Robert Armstrong and Louise Brooks. The marquee above the uniformed members of the Coast Guard reads:

                            Victor McLaglen and Star Cast in "A Girl in Every Port"

                     "Semper Paratus" with U.S. Coast Guard and Fox Ensemble of 125

                       Prologue - Richard Singer & Concert Orchestra - Charles Althoff

 

I was able to determine which Fox theater this was based on the supporting acts, which opened with the film in late March of 1928. Here is the newspaper clipping which solved the mystery.

I describe this photograph, a publicity image, as "unusual" because of its size. The vintage print which I own measures 29" wide by 10" tall. It is huge, and I had to scan it in two sections on my flatbed scanner. My apologies for the unseemly seam showing where I stitched the two sections together. The photograph  is in rough shape (and was when I purchased it), so I decided to scan it and do a little clean-up on it in order to preserve it digitally.

If you would like to view it close-up, you can download it and look at it in detail. An illustration of Louise Brooks appears in the photo, to the right of the man in a suit and tie wearing a hat in the middle right of the image. I only spotted Brooks' image when I was looking at this image full size on my computer.

I scanned this image at 300 dpi, and thus my scan measures a little more than 29 inches by 10 inches. Like I said. It is huge. I attempted to place this image on this blog horizontally at full size -- and thus created the widest web page in history -- but it didn't display well. I am posting an enlarged, though not full size version, vertically below. If you are looking at this image on a laptop, flip your device and scroll....

THE LEGAL STUFF: The Louise Brooks Society™ blog is authored by Thomas Gladysz, Director of the Louise Brooks Society  (www.pandorasbox.com). Original contents copyright © 2024. Further unauthorized use prohibited. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.

No comments:

Powered By Blogger