Thursday, April 27, 2023

Update on The Street of Forgotten Men: From Story to Screen and Beyond

I am pleased to reveal a new, slightly revised cover for my forthcoming book, The Street of Forgotten Men: From Story to Screen and Beyond. I am also pleased to announce I have finished writing and editing the book. Actually, I finished in early March, and have spent the time since then (not only dealing with an internet troll) but also proofing the text one last time, tinkering with the layout, and indexing the book. I have never indexed a book before, and admit it was both an interesting as well as a laborious experience.* As of today, I have only to finalize a few small details before publication.

It was also during March that I received a last piece to the book, something I had been hoping to include and did not announce until it was in hand.... As some may notice, my now completed book will feature two forewords. One is by Robert Byrne, the noted film preservationist (Sherlock Holmes, etc...) whose efforts to restore The Street of Forgotten Men saved it from certain obscurity. Without him, this book would not have been possible.

The second foreword is by Kevin Brownlow, the acclaimed film historian, author, documentary filmmaker, and Academy Award Honoree -- the only individual in history honored with an Oscar for his work as a film historian. I am thrilled that Kevin agreed to write a forward to my book, and even more thrilled that Kevin revealed little known details about the film drawn from his correspondence with Louise Brooks, who played a bit part in the film -- her first!


I am grateful to both Byrne and Brownlow. And, I am grateful to those who donated to my book's GoFundMe campaign. Through their generosity, I have been able to acquire a number of rare images for inclusion in my book. I would also like to thank Byrne for allowing me to include a few screen grabs from the film. A few include Louise Brooks. While others include some of the uncredited bit players who appear in the film and who I was able to identify.

As I am about to close this campaign, let me shout "last call." If you would like to donate, please do so within the next few days. The book's GoFundMe campaign can be found HERE.

  • Any donation, however small, will be very much appreciated.
  • Donate $20.00 and receive an acknowledgment in the completed book.
  • Donate $40.00 and receive an autographed, softcover copy of the completed book, as well as an acknowledgment (USA only).
  • Donate $100.00 and receive an autographed, softcover copy of the completed book, an acknowledgment, and an autographed copy of my earlier book, Beggars of Life: A Companion to the 1928 Film (USA only).

* The main body of the book came in at 338 pages, excluding the front matter and back matter (which comes to more than 30 pages). At times, indexing was a slog only made bearable by "Desert Island Discs." I wish to acknowledge the online archive of the long-running BBC program. While indexing my book, which took a couple-three weeks, I listened to dozens of past episodes, some dating back to the 1970s, and that helped pass the time. What a pleasure it was to listen to conversations with David Sedaris, Jimmy Page, Gloria Swanson and so many others.

THE LEGAL STUFF: The Louise Brooks Society™ blog is authored by Thomas Gladysz, Director of the Louise Brooks Society  (www.pandorasbox.com). Original contents copyright © 2023. Further unauthorized use prohibited.
 

2 comments:

Karen said...

The new cover looks great. Congrats on finishing the writing and editing!

Louise Brooks Society said...

Thanks!

Powered By Blogger