Monday, December 14, 2015

More True Confessions: Pics from the Louise Brooks Society (part 2)

Here are yet more images from the 20 year history of the Louise Brooks Society. Launched in 1995, the LBS was one of the first websites devoted to silent film or a silent film star. Only a few pages at first, the LBS has grown, and so has its acclaim as a resource for fans of Louise Brooks as well as early cinema. Check it out at www.pandorasbox.com

My obsessive tracing of Brooks' resonance throughout the 20th century helped
land this image of the actress on the cover of this book. The Argentine
author was a huge fan of Brooks, as the LBS website showed.

And look where this book showed up - on the hit television show Lost.
I put on an event with the acclaimed poet
Mary Jo Bang when her LB inspired book
of poems Louise in Love was
published in 2001.

I produced this triptych of limited edition autographed broadsides celebrating Mary Jo Bang's book
and featuring Brooks' imagery.
I also produced a limited edition autographed broadside featuring biographer Barry Paris and a bit of text from his book on the actress. This was issued at the time the LBS helped bring Paris' book and Brooks' Lulu in Hollywood back into print.
My wife and I had the pleasure of visiting the then George
Eastman House in Rochester, NY to see the LB
centennial exhibit. What a great experience.
In 2006, I had the great honor of introducing a centenial screening of Pandora's Box at the Castro Theater in San Francisco before a sold out crowd of more than 1,400 people. I also introduced my friend, the seminal Kansas-born artist and filmmaker Bruce Conner, who had his own story to tell about Louise Brooks.
I got to know Bruce Conner after he visited a small exhibit about the actress
which I put on in a San Francisco cafe some years ago. Conner left this
note in the exhibit guest book. Later, when I visited him at his home
in San Francisco, he expanded on this anecdote.

When I introduced Diary of a Lost Girl in Paris in 2009, fans of the actress (alas not me) lined up around the block.






I've had the pleasure of meeting a few fellow fans, like the
charming English dressmaker Irma Romero.
I also had the pleasure of meeting actor Paul McGann,
who is also a big Louise Brooks' fan. McGann, who was the
Eighth Doctor Who, even told me he listened to RadioLulu.
c

No comments:

Powered By Blogger