Wednesday, May 2, 2007

Kevin Brownlow's SF visit

John Bengtson - a friend and the author of two excellent books, "Silent Echoes: Discovering Early Hollywood Through the Films of Buster Keaton" and "Silent Traces: Discovering Early Hollywood through the Films of Charlie Chaplin" - posted a detailed account of Kevin Brownlow's visit to San Francisco. John posted it to the alt.movies.silent newsgroup. It can be read here.

Along with hosting the Brownlow booksigning at the Castro Theater on Saturday, I also attended the two events described by John in his post. And, I had a chance to speak with Kevin Brownlow at a small gathering on Sunday. Of course, we spoke about Louise Brooks - among other subjects. I told Kevin about the Louise Brooks Society and the various projects I have been working on. . . . We also spoke about Louise Brooks' inspired literature. Kevin had seen Smoking with Lulu when it played in London, and recommended I read Jack Finney's novel Marion's Wall. (I've just started the book. It is about a a young couple who move into an old San Francisco house possessed by a screen queen of the twenties who takes over the wife's body.)

It was a thrill to spend time with Kevin Brownlow. And just as you would expect, he "showed himself to be articulate, kind, modest, humorous, and generous. It was a delight to spend some moments in his company."

I took a few snapshots which I hope to post later. . . . My camera is at work awaiting tomorrow night's event with film biographer Steven Bach.

No comments:

Powered By Blogger